Beijing, with literal meaning of "northern capital", is a metropolis in northern China and the capital of the People's Republic of China. As a major transportation hub, it is also the center of politics, education, and culture in China. With a 3,000-year-long history, Beijing is one of the world's most ancient cities. Covering an area of 16,808 square kilometers, it is the second largest city in China next only to Shanghai. The city is divided into 16 districts and two rural counties, with about 13 million people. With rich tourism resources, Beijing is renowned for its famous attractions, unique and delicious food, and abundant night life with colorful entertainments. Among the well-known attractions, some representatives such as Beijing National Stadium, Bystreets, and the temple of heaven will amaze and delight you. All kinds of Beijing snacks, including Beijing Roast Duck, Noodles with soybean paste, and so on, will leave you a special impression on this city. Furtherm... Beijing Overview
Beijing, the capital of china, is the center of politics, culture and international communication. With over 3000-year-long history, Beijing has become the city with the most World Cultural Heritages in China. Famous attractions, such as the Forbidden City, the temple of heaven, the summer palace, the Beihai Park, etc., have added more florid colors to this old city. Beijing Attractions
- The Summer Palace: Situated in western outskirts of Beijing, the summer palace, named as Qingyiyuan, covers an area of 290 hectares, three quarters of which is made up of shallow lakes.
- Temple of Heaven: The temple of heaven, located in the southeast of old Beijing city, was built in Ming dynasty in 1420. It is the place where china emperors of the Ming and the Qing dynasty have a ceremony for worshipping heaven. The temple of heaven is regarded as the biggest ancient building group for holding ceremony for worshipping heaven in the world.
- Beijing Hutong: Bystreet is an old style city alleyway only in Beijing. The word"hutong" came from Mongolian, which means back street alleyway. Most of these bystreets are formed in the 13 century, and has experienced several centuries' development up to now.
Beijing catering industry has a long history. In its long evolution history, it changes from the initial rice booths, small restaurants to a higher level of restaurants, contributing to the prosperity of this ancient city. Beijing Restaurants
- Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant: Located in the 14th Building, West Street, at the front door of Xuanwu District, Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant is the largest roast duck restaurant in the world, whose construction site had taken the instructions of Premier Zhou Enlai during his lifetime.
- Restaurant wahaha: After being tired of the heavy taste of Sichuan and Hunan cuisine, you will find that "light and refreshing" Hangzhou cuisine is so delicious there. All dishes are done exquisitely and also regarded as feasts to your eyes. Weever, rapped with paper, has white meat, scorching outside but tender inside. Stewed duck shows us the excellent skills of the cooks and has a mellow taste as well.
Beijing food, a combination of different flavors from nations such as Han, Hui, Meng, Man, include their own unique specialties. It is said that there are more than two hundred categories of snacks in Beijing, including dishes gonging with rice, such as Mongolian hotpot Shuan Yangrou and some other snacks for breakfast or as midnight snack, like Zha Jiang Mian, Rolling Donkey (Lv Da Gun), and Tuckahoe cake (Fu Ling Bing). Beijing Food
- Roast Duck: Beijing Roast Duck has a history of over 1500 years in China. With its tempting color, crispy skin, tender meat and the gorgeous appearance, as well as its fragrance. Beijing Roast Duck is known as one of the best dish in the world.
- Noodles with soybean paste: Zha Jiang Mian is consists of three main materials. They are wide hand-tossed noodles, vegetable pieces as well as pork. Local Beijing people, especially elder ones like to eat hot noodles in the cold days and to eat cold noodles in hot weather.
- Rolling Donkey: Rolling Donkey refers to a kind of traditional Beijing snack, also known in south area of China as Rolling Horse (Ma Da Gun), with soft skin made of glutinous rice flour and the stuffing made of red pea.
Nightlife in Beijing is varied and colorful. Nowadays there are more and more interesting nightlife activities. Particularly, most people in present-day society can only relax themselves at night. So in Beijing nightlife plays a very important role in people's daily life. Beijing Nightlife
- Laoshe Teahouse: Laoshe Teahouse is located at Building NO.3, Qianmen Xida Street, Xuanwu District. It is named after the famous Chinese author Lao She. It's a unique place in Beijing showing the entertainments of old Beijing people in old times.
- Opera: Beijing opera is the quintessence of China. It's a kind of opera with a history of nearly 200 years. Beijing opera is a combination of acrobatics and singing. The unique aria of Beijing opera is impressive, and the costumes and masks are fascinating.
- Acrobatic : Chinese acrobatics, with a long history, has been praised as "A pearl of the Oriental art". This is a really kind of artistic form loved to see by the public. The artists' amazing performances will make a deep impression on you.
Located in the warm temperature zone, Beijing has a sub-humid continental monsoon climate featuring four distinct seasons. Spring and autumn is the best time to visit Beijing, especially in the months of April, May, September and October. Beijing Weather
- Railway: As the transportation hub of China, Beijing has rail lines that connect the capital city to most cities and destinations in China. There are international trains too, between Beijing and Moscow in Rus...
- Inner city transportation: Public Buses Beijing has a convenient and cheap public bus system that covers the entire city and to suburban areas. Bus lines are numbered from 1-999, and you can tell the bus routes from their line ...
- Highway: Beijing is connected by a highly sophisticated network of expressways and highways heading to all directions of the country. There are long-distance buses that go as far as Harbin, Xi’an, and Sh...
- The Forbidden City:
- The Mutianyu Great Wall: Mutianyu Great Wall is 2.5 hours from Beijing city center. Due to its location, this section of the Great Wall is less-crowded than Badaling, and offers great super views from its watch towers.
- Beijing Olympic Green: Olympic Green was the main venue for competitions of 2008 Beijing Olympics. Covering an area of 1215 hectares, the park contains green forests, national musuems, exhibition areas, Olympic village and ...
Weekly Recommended Deals
Highlights: The Forbidden City, Short Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, The Mutianyu Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace