As the capital as well as the economic, political and cultural center of Shanxi Province, Taiyuan is located in the center of Shanxi Province as well as the junction of Tongpu railway (from Datong railway to Puzhou railway) and Shitai railway (from Shijiazhuang of Hebei Province to Taiyuan in Shanxi Province), covering an area of 6,959 square kilometers (2,687 square miles) in total with the urban area of 1,460 square kilometers (633 square miles), and it is surrounded by mountains in the north,... Taiyuan Overview
As an ancient city with more than 2,400-year history, Taiyuan is rich in colorful natural sceneries and culture relics in the forms of mountains, grottoes, temple, rivers and museums, among which the famous ones are as follows: Jinci Temple, Shanxi Museum, Twin Pagoda Temple, Chunyang Palace, Chongshan Monastery and Tianlongshan Grottoes. Taiyuan Attractions
- Jinci Temple : Jici Temple is famous for its culture relics and natural sceneries as well as its profound history. There are tens of ancient architectures in the temple such as Goddess Palace, pavilions and bridges, the Cypress of Zhou Dynasty and the Never Aging Spring. Jinci Temple is the only precious historical cultural relic which combines architecture, gardening, sculptures, murals and stone inscriptions in China as well as the center of world architecture, gardening and sculptures.
- Twin Pagodas : As the land mark of Taiyuan City, the Twin Pagodas lie in He Village in the southeast of Taiyuan, 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) away from the city center. It is composed of the Front Yard, the Rear Yard and the Tower Yard, and the Twin Pagodas is located in the Tower Yard with exquisite and unique design. Both of the pagodas are made entirely of bricks and stones with only one piece of wood on the eaves on each floor.
- Tianlongshan Grottoes: There are 24 grottoes with more than 1,500 statues in Tianlong Mountain, which are from the Eastern Wei Dynasty (534 A.D.-550 A.D.) to the Tang Dynasty (618 A.D.-907 A.D.).
Taiyuan is the commercial center in Shanxi Province. Here are some streets, department stores and supermarkets just for your reference: Taiyuan Shopping
- Commercial Streets: Liuxiang Walking Street is the busiest commercial street with a long standing history of more than 300 years, which is the biggest night market in Northern China with more than 20,000 customers every day.
- Department Store: Recommend some well-known department stores with long standing history, high and middle-range goods ranging from, clothes and sports equipments to cosmetics as well as the household appliances.
- Supermarket: Some Supermarket convenient scatter the city.
As the capital of Shanxi Province of China, the transportation in Taiyuan is very modern and convenient. The visitors can get there by air, by train or by long-distance buses from Taiyuan to the major Cities in China. You can get to the scenic spots of Taiyuan easily by inner-city buses and taxis, and you can go almost every corner of the city with the comprehensive transportation facilities. Taiyuan Transportation
- Railway: Taiyuan is the starting point of Taiyuan-Jiaozhou railway lines as well as the terminus of the Shijiazhuang-Taiyuan and Beijing-Taiyuan railway lines. There are trains from Taiyuan to the major large cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xi’an, Chengdu, Tianjin and Baotou.
- City Transportation: The roads in Taiyuan are wide and good, so the transportation is very convenient. You can take a bus to most places of the city, especially to the scenic spots.
- Air: Taiyuan Wusu Airport is located in the south suburb of Taiyuan, about 18 kilometers (11.2 miles) from the city center. There are direct flights from Taiyuan Wusu Airport to the major cities throughout China, including Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, Chengdu, Guilin, Nanjing, Shenyang, Guangzhou and Xi’an. There
Weekly Recommended Deals
Highlights: The Forbidden City, Short Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, The Mutianyu Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace