- Travel Guide
- - 798 Art District
- - Beihai Park
- - Beijing Folklore Museum
- - Beijing Hutong
- - Beijing Industrial Arts Museum
- - Beijing Museum of Natural History
- - Beijing Museum of Traditional Operas
- - Beijing National Stadium
- - Beijing Police Museum
- - Beijing Zoo
- - Capital Museum
- - CCTV Tower
- - China National Film Museum
- - Chinese Aviation Museum
- - Eastern Qing Mausoleum
- - Forbidden City
- - Fragrant Hill Park
- - Great Wall Hiking
- - Guozijian
- - Jingshan Park
- - Military Museum
- - Nanshan Ski Resort
- - National Center for the Performing Arts
- - Tanzhe Temple
- - Temple of Heaven
- - The Drum and Bell Towers
- - The Ming Tombs
- - The Summer Palace
- - The Temple of Earth
- - The Tiananmen Square
- - The White Cloud Taoist Temple
- - Yushengtang Traditional Chinese Medicine Museum
- - Zhoukoudian Peking Man Site
The temple of heaven, located in the southeast of old Beijing city, was built in Ming dynasty in 1420. It is the place where china emperors of the Ming and the Qing dynasty have a ceremony for worshipping heaven. The temple of heaven is regarded as the biggest ancient building group for holding ceremony for worshipping heaven in the world. The temple of heaven covers 27.2 million square miters, with a total area bigger than the Forbidden City. It has double walls, thus forming an inside and outside platforms.
The major buildings are Qinian temple, Huangqiong temple and Yuan Qiu. Here we will mainly introduce Yuan Qiu. Yuan Qiu, built in the First Half of 15 century, is located on the north and south line of Beijing, surrounding by aged old looses. Its wall has a round shape, which is a symbol of the old theory "round sky and square earth".It is a good protection of temple building group, reflecting the important relation between the sky and the earth, in terms of its layout and building body, which plays an important role in architecture in ancient China. And this relation also symbolizes the relationship between Chinese ancient emperors and his ministers, namely, emperors have far higher status than his ministers do.
With the prevalent images of Chinese culture and civilization, the temple of heaven shows the special Chinese ancient culture and its symbolic meaning of architecture. Moreover, the temple of heaven is also an amalgamation of knowledge from philosophy, history, mathematics, mechanics, aesthetics and bionomics. In a word, it is considered as a magnum opus of ancient art.
1. The opening time: from 6:00 to 22:00, some of the sight spots open at 8:00 am.
2. Traffic: you can take buses NO.6, 15, 17, 20, 35, 36, 39, 106, 120, 122, 803, 814, and 54 to get there.
3. Beat time for visiting: The best time to visit it is in spring and autumn. For the main plants in this building group is grass, the summer is too hot to walk in the sun and the winter is too cold. But in winter you can experience the acoustics of the temple of heaven in the quiet.
Weekly Recommended Deals
Highlights: The Forbidden City, Short Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, The Mutianyu Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace