The mountainous city Chongqing is a municipality under the central government with the shortest history, the largest area, the most relaxed administrative jurisdiction as well as the biggest population. It covers an area of 82,400 square kilometers, including 14 districts and 26 counties (cities), and has a population of 30,720,000. It is a well-known historical and cultural city with the history of over 3,000 years. Moreover, it is the economic center of the upper reaches of the Yangtze River, an important national modern manufacturing base as well as an outsized city as the traffic hub of the southwestern China and a key place to achieve the coordination of rural and urban areas. Since the city was built by the mountains, and thus got its name the “mountainous city”. It is fi... Chongqing Overview
- Ciqikou Old Town: Ciqikou Old Town (originally named Longyin) is located by the Jialing River in the west of the Chongqing City, 14 kilometers from the city center. Thus, it is the old town in Chongqing that is closest to the city center. Since the Ming and Qing Dynasties, Ciqikou Old Town had been famed around the Bashu land.
- Dazu Grottoes: In Dazu, Tongnan, Tongliang and Bishan Counties, there is the Dazu Grottoes Tourist Area consisted of a batch of stone statues carved at the Tang and Song Dynasties. There are more than 70 stone statues and over 100,000 stone bodies with rock carvings in the Baoding Mountain and the West Mountain being the most renowned ones.
- Goose Neck Park: Goose Neck Park is on the Changjiang Fisrt Road, Yuzhong District. E'ling is originally named as “E’xiang Ling” ("E” means goose, "Xiang” means neck and “Ling” means mountain ridge). It is situated at the steep and long mountain ridge between the Yangtze and Jialing Rivers. It is in the shape similar to that of the neck of goose, and thus gets its name "E’xiang Ling”.
- Chongqing Hotpot: Hotpot is the best-known food in Chongqing. It is said that the origin of the hotpot is closely related to the coldness in winter and the straightforwardness of Chongqing people.
- Railway: Chongqing Railway Station is the center of the railway passenger transport in Chongqing. Three main railway arteries meet there. They are all connected with other arteries in China.
- Waterway: Chongqing Ferry Terminal is located at the east of Yuzhong District. Chaotian Men, located at the confluence of the Yangtze Rive and Jialing River, is the best location to start the sight-seeing journey of the Three Gorges. It is quite convenient to get to the Chongqing Port by bus.
Located in the east of the Sichuan basin, Chongqing belongs to subtropics monsoon climate region. Warm in winter and hot in summer, it is rarely snowy and frosty, but is often shrouded in clouds and mist. Chongqing Travel Tips
Weekly Recommended Deals
Highlights: The Forbidden City, Short Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, The Mutianyu Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace