- Travel Guide
- - Big Banyan Tree
- - Daxu Ancient Town
- - Elephant Trunk Hill
- - Fubo Hill
- - Hiking along Li River
- - Li River
- - Lingqu Canal
- - Longji Terraced Fields
- - Piled Silk Hill
- - Seven Star Park
- - Solitary Beauty Peak
- - The Moon Hill
- - Two Rivers and Four Lakes
- - Yulong River
- - Zhengyang Pedestrian Street
The Longji Terraced Fields are located in the Heping town in Longsheng, about 2 hours drive from Guilin. The terraced fields, like great ladders or ribbons, wind from the bottom of mountains to the top. They are distributed at an elevation between 300m-1100m (984.25ft -3,608.92ft) of Longji Moutain, covering a total area of 66 square kilometers in southeast Longsheng.
History and feature:
First built during the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368), these rice fields were completed in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). They were built in ingenious construction so as to make best use of the scare arable land and water resources in the mountainous area; meanwhile they showed the determination, sweat and intelligence of generations of people. These fields are often belt-shaped, narrow and long, most of which are only wide enough for two rows of crops.
It is ordinary to see terraced fields, but such large scale ones as the Longji Terraced Fields are rarely seen. The scenery of these fields varies according to different seasons. The shinning terraces, like silver ribbons, lace the mountain slopes in spring. In summer, breezes ripple the paddies in great waves. In fall, layers of crops make the mountains of terraced fields like golden pagodas, and in winter these terraced fields seem like white snow dragons. In a word, the fields look magnificent and elegant, and form some of the finest scenery in China.
Culture and customs:
People living in this region are mainly Zhuang and Yao minorities. While touring here, you can enjoy ancient folk dance and songs of these minorities, as well as their traditional unique dressing and wearing. You can also see lots of ancient buildings with various styles such as Houses of Wooden Structure Projecting. These are well preserved and will make you experience different lives and sceneries from the modern society.
Furthermore, there are four unique things the local people are most proud of, namely Longji tea, which had been served the emperors of ancient China; Longji pepper (moderately chili with an unique flavor); Longji wine (good flavor with comparably low spirit alcohol); and Longji Cephalostachyum (a genus of small to medium-sized bamboo).
1. It takes about one hour climbing from the foot of the hill to the top. There is a manmade road from the bottom to the halfway down to the hill.
2. The best time to visit is after the fifteenth day of the fourth Chinese Month (between May and June) and lasts the later half month, as well as the half month after Middle Autumn Day (before or after October).
3. Opening hours: 8:30 a.m. – 17:40 p.m.
4. Qualifications: National AAAA- class Scenic Spot.
5. In Longji, it will be a pity to miss eating the Longji chicken raised by the local people. It tastes delicious by using the mountain spring water to cook i
Weekly Recommended Deals
Highlights: The Forbidden City, Short Hutong Tour in Xicheng District, The Mutianyu Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace