The word “Shangri-La” comes from the Shambhala kingdom of Tibet. In the developing history of Tibetan Buddhism, the word “Shangri-La” is mentioned as the highest stage of “Jing Kingdom”. In modern times, people equate Shangri-La with "paradise”, "ideal country”, "Utopia” and “land of idyllic beauty”. Now, what we call “Shangri-La” is the capital of Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture. Zhongdian got it name in 2001 approved by Chinese central government. Shangri-La is a county of Diqing Tib... Shangri-la Overview
- Gedansongzanlin Lamasery: With more than 700 monks and strong characteristic, Gedansongzanlin Lamasery, which is also named “Guihua Lamasery”, is the biggest Tibetan Buddhism Lamasery ranks in Yunnan.
- Bita Lake: Bita Lake is in the area of Pudacuo National Forest Park, which is 32 kilometers away from Shangri-La County. It is the highest lake in Yunnan province.
- Meili Snow Mountain : Meili Snow Mountain is also called as "Snow Mountain prince". It is the holy mountain in local Tibetan hearts. Its main peak, Kagebo Peak, is 6740 meters high, which is hailed as the highest peak thought out Yunnan province and is famous all over the world for being so gorgeous and mysterious.
- Souleyma Wine : Souleyma Wine is a kind of drink which is of strong Tibetan characteristic, which is also call as “Tibetan beer”.
- Tibetan cake: Almost all Tibetan know how to cook wheaten food. And as we know that most Tibetan cakes are made of flour. The typical Tibetan cakes include fried sesame balls, “Basha” cakes, "auspicious knot" fried sesame balls, Longyan Baozi, oil fired “Xuluxulu” and so on. Most these special foods could be eaten when the traditional festivals of Tibetan come.
- Tibet butter tea: Tibet butter tea is a kind of necessary daily food for Tibetans. Its making processes are also very easy. Tibetan people will put some tea-leaves in to a special tea barrel first, and then add the yak butter, salt and some spices together, finally, and punch them heavily till all stuffs mix well. The finished product is that Tibet butter tea. Tibet butter tea owns a very important position in Tibetan dietary structure.
- Air: Zhongdian (Shangri-La) airport covers an area of 225 hectares. Till now, it is the biggest airport in northwest region of Yunnan Province. Now it opens its airlines from Zhongdian to Kunming, Chengdu,...
Except May, June, July, September, and October, in most other months in Shangri-La, it is rainy so much. The weather is not good for out-walking. In winter, it is very cold outside. And if it is rainy in winter, it is better to go back or just wait. If it is snow, what people could do is just paying enough patience and time to wait the snow melt. Shangri-la Travel Tips